Extended Deadline for AAMI Awards & Scholarships
Contact: Brian Stallard, firstname.lastname@example.org, (703) 647-2771
You can make sure that your deserving peers are recognized for their achievements by nominating them for an AAMI or AAMI Foundation award. Ambitious researchers and innovators are similarly encouraged to apply for unique scholarship and grant opportunities. And now there is a little more time to do so!
The deadline for all submissions has been extended until January 18th. This includes deadlines for AAMI awards, AAMI Foundation awards, grants, and scholarships.
According to Sabrina Reilly, vice president of Membership at AAMI, the extension is to help accommodate for a particularly disruptive year.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has changed work and professional lives alike. We want to make sure every deserving nominee or applicant has the time to leverage the opportunities for professional growth and recognition that AAMI is offering,” she said.
Award winners will receive a monetary prize, a plaque commemorating their achievements, and recognition at the 2021 AAMI Exchange, June 4–7 in Charlotte, NC.
There are several types of awards and scholarships:
AAMI Awards recognize achievement in patient safety and healthcare technology management (HTM) leadership.
- AAMI & Becton Dickinson's Patient Safety Awardrecognizes outstanding achievements by healthcare professionals who have made a significant advancement toward the improvement of patient safety.
- AAMI's HTM Leadership Awardrecognizes individual excellence, achievement, and leadership in the HTM profession.
- AAMI & GE Healthcare's BMET of the Year Award recognizes a biomedical equipment technician’s individual dedication, achievement, and excellence in the field of HTM.
- AAMI's Young Professional Awardpresented annually to a professional, under the age of 35, who exhibits exemplary professional accomplishments and a commitment to the healthcare profession.
- The Spirit of AAMI Awardrecognizes the outstanding contributions of an AAMI member in volunteer efforts within the association.
- AAMI's HTM Association of the Year Awardrecognizes an HTM association that distinguishes itself during the course of the year through outstanding society operations and meetings as well as a commitment to elevating the HTM profession at the local level.
AAMI Foundation Awards recognize an individual or group for a unique or significant contribution to the advancement of healthcare technology and systems, service, patient care, or patient safety; humanitarian efforts to improve global human conditions with healthcare technology; or applied clinical engineering practices or principles to solve patient care problems or challenges. Submit your nomination online.
- The AAMI Foundation's Laufman-GreatbatchAward is AAMI's most prestigious award. Named after two pioneers in the field—Harold Laufman, MD and Wilson Greatbatch, PhD—this highly regarded award honors an individual or group that has made a unique and significant contribution to the advancement of healthcare technology and systems, service, patient care, or patient safety.
- The AAMI Foundation & ACCE's Robert L. Morris Humanitarian Awardhonoring the late humanitarian Robert Morris—recognizes individuals or organizations whose humanitarian efforts have applied healthcare technology to improving global human conditions.
- The AAMI Foundation & Institute for Technology in Health Care Clinical Solution Awardhonors a healthcare technology professional (individual or group) that has applied innovative clinical engineering practices or principles to solve one or more significant clinical patient care problems or challenges facing a patient population, community, or group.
- The AAMI Foundation & TRIMEDX John D. Hughes Iconoclast Awardrecognizes an individual who pushes the boundaries of the HTM professional and demonstrates individual excellence, achievement, and leadership.
Grants and Scholarships are also being offered with Jan. 18 submission deadlines:
- The AAMI Foundation Michael J. Miller Scholarship Program, which was created in 2009 in honor of past AAMI president Michael J. Miller, provides financial support to students who are pursuing an education in healthcare technology. Every year, the AAMI Foundation awards scholarships to students aspiring to become biomedical equipment technicians, clinical engineers, and health systems engineers. These scholarships expand access to students who have demonstrated academic excellence, technical aptitude, and a commitment to healthcare technology and patient safety.
- The Kilmer Scholarship Award will provide academic assistance to individuals entering or continuing in the field of microbiological quality or sterility assurance. The scholarships can be applied to field-related undergraduate or graduate programs, including industrial microbiology, engineering (chemical, electrical, mechanical, or biomedical), physics, and pharmacy.
- Standards Developer Award. Awarded for major contribution(s) to the development or revision of a specific standard. This award is given to up to five people annually for major contribution(s) to the development or revision of a specific AAMI standard or international (ISO or IEC) standard under development by an international committee or subcommittee administered by AAMI, or for ongoing contribution(s) or service towards notable advances in standards development.
- AAMI Technical Committee Award. Awarded to an AAMI technical committee to recognize outstanding committee efforts. This award is made to up to two AAMI technical committees (includes AAMI technical committees and working groups, and AAMI technical advisory groups and technical advisory sub-groups) annually to recognize upstanding Committee efforts.
The deadline for The AAMI Fellows Program, which recognizes individuals who have provided substantial service and contributions to AAMI and to the health technology field, remains unchanged. The program is accepting applicants until January 22, 2021.
AAMI (www.aami.org) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1967. It is a diverse community of more than 9,000 healthcare technology professionals united by one important mission—supporting the healthcare community in the development, management, and use of safe and effective health technology. AAMI is the primary source of consensus standards, both national and international, for the medical device industry, as well as practical information, support, and guidance for health technology and sterilization professionals.