Accelerate your career at AAMI
The Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (“AAMI” or the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
Senior Director, Standards
The Senior Director is responsible for ensuring policies and procedures are adhered to in assigned standards portfolio, including within the programs managed by their direct reports, resulting in high quality and consistent standards. This position also works closely with AAMI members, industry leaders, government representatives and subject matter experts (SMEs) across the field to develop standards and related products that solve challenges impacting multiple facets of the health technology/medical device industry.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the AAMI Standards Board (SB) and its associated activities, including but not limited to:
- Plan and execute meetings (in person and virtual) of the SB.
- Lead the annual or biannual co-chair rotation management.
- Consult with AAMI Standards staff on the development of new work item proposals (NWIPs) to ensure success at the Standards Board level; this includes reviewing forms and supporting documentation.
- Monitor the growth of all standards program areas and work collaboratively with the SB and across the department to address potential challenges and opportunities.
- Ensure that any strategic repositioning of the Standards Board and/or their responsibilities is communicated to the group and executed as envisioned by the head of the department.
- Participate in the development and ensure implementation of consistency and quality control processes across the department, including but not limited to:
- Develop plan and supporting process for conducting an annual AAMI self-audit in assigned standards portfolio.
- Ensure that proper outreach is being carried out as required by AAMI and ANSI.
- Ensure consistent high levels of data quality with regular analysis of the overall work in progress and publications as listed in the online standards platform to ensure that the information is current and accurate; this includes alignment with ANSI, ISO, and IEC records.
- Utilize the standards development platform to track document development, identify bottlenecks, and additional areas for development.
- Lead informational and internal training sessions with the entire Standards team to keep them apprised of changes to any policies and procedures that will affect the entire AAMI Standards program.
- Develop and lead department quality improvement activities and initiatives pertaining to standards development processes.
- Attend meetings/workshops (in person and virtually) led by ANSI/ISO/IEC to continuously stay apprised of changes in ANSI/ISO/IEC processes.
- Participate in the cross-training and onboarding of new staff as needed. Coordinate with Shared Services team lead to ensure that the work program is supported accordingly.
- Work closely with and provide oversight as appropriate to committees and working groups in the development of national (AAMI, ANSI) and international (ISO/IEC) standards ensuring all relevant policies and procedures are followed.
- Facilitate the maintenance, revision, and implementation of the AAMI TAG Procedures to IEC and ISO and related training materials (both internal and external).
- Represent AAMI, its policies and values to all stakeholders at committee, working group and other relevant meetings as appropriate.
- Responsible for tracking budget related to standards portfolio. Provide annual budget input as requested by head of department.
- Collaborate with staff in Production, Innovation, IT, Marketing, Communications, and Education on the ongoing status of standards to ensure the appropriate and timely coordination of the production, promotion, and marketing of standards and related or derivative products.
- Collaborate with membership in recruiting and retaining corporate members to achieve budgeted corporate membership revenue targets.
- Respond to written, electronic mail, and telephone inquiries regarding standards
- Develop and deliver internal and external communications, presentations, reports, articles, etc. as requested by VP or other AAMI staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Must have exceptional judgement and must be fair and impartial.
- Strong communication (both written and oral, to internal and external parties), leadership and interpersonal skills required.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations on subject matter within scope of responsibilities to internal and external parties.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously required.
- Experience managing volunteer committees within a membership organization highly desirable.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ relevant experience desired.
- Knowledge of U.S. and international standards systems is highly desirable.
- Strong commitment to teamwork, transparency, collaboration, and accountability.
- Technologically savvy. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and web-based platforms.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally (approximately 20%).
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment
- Occasional travel and weekend/evening work required
- Currently working two days per week in the office and the remainder of the week remote until further notice