The Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation® (AAMI) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1967. It is a diverse community of more than 10,000 professionals united by one important mission—the development, management, and use of safe and effective health technology. AAMI is the primary source of consensus standards, both national and international, for the medical device industry, as well as practical information, support, and guidance for healthcare technology and sterilization professionals.
AAMI leads global collaboration in the development, management, and use of safe and effective health technology. We are committed to:
- Supporting the efforts of our members to improve patient care by advancing the safety and effectiveness of health technology.
- Sharing information openly and effectively, to value the multifaceted nature of our community.
- Serving our community with superior ethical and professional standards.
- Fostering a trusting and inclusive environment that respects each individual while encouraging collaborations.
- Providing the highest level of quality in everything we do.
Ready to Join AAMI?
An AAMI membership will be a catalyst to your health technology career. Access the best professional development, stay up to date on news from the field, and develop impactful relationships that will support your growth throughout your career.JOIN NOW
AAMI's Policy on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
AAMI is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We all have an individual responsibility to promote DEI in our workplace and lead by example.
Our human capital is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and organization’s achievement as well. Research has proven time and again that a diverse team creates the best product and ultimate outcome.
We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in their actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances.
AAMI’s diversity initiatives are applicable—but not limited—to our practices and policies on recruitment and selection; compensation and benefits; professional development and training; promotions; interdepartmental transfers; social and recreational programs; layoffs; terminations; and the ongoing development of a work environment built on the premise of diversity, equity, and inclusion that encourages and enforces:
- Respectful communication and cooperation between all employees.
- Teamwork and employee participation, permitting the representation of all groups and employee perspectives.
- Work/life balance through flexible work schedules to accommodate employees’ varying needs.
- Employer and employee contributions to the communities we serve to promote a greater understanding and respect for their diversity.
- Recruitment practices where we advertise for positions in multiple sources such as Indeed, Association job boards, Diversityjobs.com, and Veterans at Military.com, designed to cast the broadest, most diverse net over applicant pools. We encourage interview panels of diverse staff, when appropriate, to interview candidates to ensure fair consideration and equity in selections.
All employees of AAMI have a responsibility to treat others with dignity and respect at all times. All employees are expected to exhibit conduct that reflects inclusion during work, at work functions on or off the work site, and at all other company-sponsored and participative events.
AAMI Center for Excellence
The AAMI's Conference Center houses the AAMI Center for Excellence, which includes two large meeting rooms that can be divided into six smaller conference spaces. The newest high-tech audio and video equipment, including ceiling mounted LCD projectors, wall mounted LCD monitors, in ceiling and wireless microphones, conference call line, wireless internet. Advanced recording capabilities and the ability to live stream events. More information.
Directions to AAMI
Located in the heart of Arlington, VA, AAMI is located in a state-of-the-art facility located close to downtown Washington, DC. Easily accessible from the Ballston Metro station, Glebe Road, and Interstate 66, we are only four-miles away from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. We are also within walking distance of the Ballston Quarter Mall and several area hotels restaurants and entertainment venues. More information.