Kilmer Research Grants
Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility
The Kilmer Research Grant (KRG) provides funds to individuals or groups seeking to advance the science of microbiological quality or sterility assurance through collaborative research. Research grant funds are typically used to offset the costs associated with securing materials, products, or services that are critical to the research. Grants will be awarded up to $10,000 each.
The submission must be organized in the following manner and include these seven parts:
- Project Description
- Project Plan
- Budget Form
- Copy of IRB or ACUC Application
- Qualifications of the Key Individuals Involved/CV Section
- Letters of Support
- Project Description: Provide an overview of the project to include the goals and potential impact of the project. (200 words or less)
- Project Plan: Must not exceed two single-sided, single-spaced pages, with a 12-point font size and 1-inch margins on all sides. The plan will provide detail in the following areas:
- Background: Describe the problem, existing knowledge about it, the importance to patient safety, the relevance to the goals of the AAMI Foundation
- Research: Describe what research will be conducted, where the work will be done, and who the sponsor of the work will be.
- How outcomes will be measured: Describe how success of the project will be determined. Provide statistical methods to be used if statistical analysis is appropriate to the project. Statistical collaboration is encouraged.
- Expected results and impact: Describe what results you expect and how you expect the results will be used and what impact could they have in addressing the problem. Consider the potential risk and alternative plans of unexpected results.
- Description of how your results will affect other research areas: Can your expected results be used as baseline for a larger research project; can your methodology be used to investigate other healthcare technology related patient safety problems?
- Budget, justification, and timeline: Detail and justify the estimated costs and indicate any funds that will be provided by the institution or other entities. Outline the timeline for completion of the work. Timeline must not exceed one year.
Final Five Sections (not included in the Project Plan). These sections may be included in the same document as the Project Plan (preferred), or as a separate document. Do not submit each section as a stand-alone document.
- Budget Form: Click here to download the budget form [MS Excel File]
- Associated Applications: If other associated applications are required to support the study (i.e. Institute Research Board), please include.
- Qualifications of the Key Individuals Involved/CV Section: Include a CV or biographical sketch (a maximum of two pages) of the principal investigator and (optionally) of one co-investigators, listing only most relevant publications. Name other members of the research team, which should include persons from the appropriate disciplines; interdisciplinary teams are strongly encouraged. Comment on institutional support and any special characteristics.
- Bibliography: Include the references of publications relevant to proposed study (one page maximum).
- Letters of Support: Include at least two such letters, including one from a recognized sponsor or professor who will assist.
Note: Please do not attach any appendices. They will not be forwarded to reviewers. Applications that do not adhere to these instructions will be returned without review.
The application deadline is February 29, 2024. Applications must be submitted to email@example.com.
For more information, please contact Steve Campbell, executive director of the AAMI Foundation, at SCampbell@aami.org.