AAMI & GE Healthcare BMET of the Year Award
This award is given to a biomedical equipment technician (BMET) to recognize individual dedication, achievement, and excellence in the field of healthcare technology management.
Candidates must demonstrate:
- Achievement and sustained excellence through specific contributions to the profession.
- Achievement of the ICC Certification: CBET, CRES, or CLES
- Employment in the HTM field for 5 years or more
Candidates should demonstrate:
- Current responsibilities associated with the role of technician/technologist
- Active participation and leadership in local, state, or national HTM organizations
- Contributions to share knowledge and experience through speaking engagements or authorship of articles related to HTM
- Resolution of an HTM challenge or problem in a patient care environment
- A role in special projects or studies that made a difference to the field
The award includes a $1,500 check and a plaque to be presented at the 2019 AAMI Exchange in Cleveland, OH.
The deadline for 2019 nominations has now passed. For more information on future nomination periods, contact email@example.com.
AAMI & GE Healthcare BMET of the Year Award Winners
- 2019 - Jovito "Jojo" Gonzales, CBET, CHTM, A+, Net+, Sec+
- 2018 – J. Scot Mackeil, CBET
- 2017 – Scott Hall, CBET
- 2016 – Carlos Villafañe, CBET, CET, A+, Network+
- 2015 – James Mazurek, CBET
- 2014 – Chad D. Sinclair, CBET, CRES
- 2013 – Richard Swim, CLES, A+, MCSE, CCNA, CCSFP
- 2012 – Demetrius Dillard, CBET
- 2011 – Paul Kelley, CBET
- 2010 – Kelly VanDeWalker, CBET
- 2009 – David Scott, CBET
- 2008 – David W. Braeutigam, MBA, CBET
- 2007 – W. Glenn Scales, CBET
- 2006 – Dustin Telford, CBET, CRES, CLES
- 2005 – Glen L. Wolfe, CBET
- 2004 – Theresa Gorski
- 2003 – Gregory S. Duncan, CBET
- 2002 – Dennis R. Edwards, CBET
- 2001 – Dennis Cox, CBET, CRES, CLES
- 2000 – David E. Francoeur, CBET
- 1999 – Michael R. Kauffman, CBET
- 1998 – John Thomas
- 1997 – Terrence D. McCartney
- 1996 – Roger Zielinski
- 1995 – David Houge, CBET
- 1994 – Benjamin Ethridge, CBET
- 1993 – Michael P. Myatt, CBET
- 1992 – Jahangir Azizi, CBET
- 1991 – Lance Martucci
- 1990 – Gail Seput
- 1989 – Charles Connor, CBET
- 1981 – Edwel W. Butler, CBET
2019 Award Recipient
Jovito "Jojo" Gonzales, CBET, CHTM, A+, Net+, Sec+
This year's award is presented to Jovito Gonzales, who is described by his peers as a “compassionate and dedicated leader” and “a highly skilled technician.” Gonzales was instrumental in the launch of a new 253-bed medical center in San Diego that was touted as one of the most technologically advanced when it opened in April 2017. He provided mentorship and training to the BMETs hired for the new facility, deployed more than 7,000 pieces of medical equipment, and assisted in the deployment of new technologies and several medical device integrations.
With a background in information security, Gonzales exemplifies the skills and knowledge that BMETs will need in order to stay relevant in the healthcare technology ecosystem. He was a member of Kaiser Permanente’s (KP’s) Compliance Action Plan Task Force, which reviewed and developed a national medical device security and privacy plan for the health system. He also travelled to several KP facilities throughout southern California to assist in the ransomware remediation of more than 4,000 devices.
For more information, contact MaryJane Thomas at +1-703-253-8296 or firstname.lastname@example.org.