AAMI Coronavirus Resources
The following AAMI documents may help you as you respond to the Coronavirus outbreak.
Safe Passage Letter for HTM and Sterilization Staff
Healthcare technology management (HTM) and sterilization professionals are mission-critical to the fight against Coronavirus. If you need support establishing yourself as "essential personnel" in order to perform your duties, download the safe passage letter and keep it with you.
Coronavirus HTM/IT Town Hall
During this March 24 online town hall, healthcare technology management and IT professionals shared their insights, experiences, and answers to your questions about the COVID-19 virus and its implications. Listen or read the transcript.
Standards and TIRs Available for Free Download
- AAMI PB70:2012, Liquid barrier performance and classification of protective apparel and drapes intended for use in health care facilities
ANSI/AAMI PB70 provides manufacturers with a consistent basis for creating device labeling claims regarding barrier efficacy against liquid-borne microorganisms. Through labeling requirements, the standard is also intended to assist end-users in selecting the appropriate protective apparel and drapes to inhibit the transfer of microorganisms associated with blood, body fluids, and other potentially infectious materials.
- AAMI TIR11:2005/(R)2015, Selection and use of protective apparel and surgical drapes in health care facilities
This technical information report (TIR) covers the selection and use of protective apparel and surgical drapes. It includes information on types of protective materials, safety and performance characteristics of protective materials, product evaluation and selection, levels of barrier performance, and care of protective apparel and drapes. Definitions of terms and informative annexes are also provided.
- TIR68:2018, Low and intermediate-level disinfection in healthcare settings for medical devices and patient care equipment and sterile processing environmental surfaces
TIR68 provides guidance on the selection and use of low and intermediate-level disinfectants and disinfection processes for safe and effective use.
In Committee Working Groups
- ISO/TC 304, Healthcare organization management, is working on a number of documents, particularly a standard for hand hygiene performance and compliance.
- IEC/SC 62D and ISO/TC 121/SC 3 working on Medical electrical equipment—Part 2-90, Particular requirements for basic safety and essential performance of respiratory high-flow therapy equipment. AAMI administers the secretariat for both IEC/SC 62D and ISO/TC 121/SC 3.
ASTM has made a number of their relevant-to-COVID-19 publications publicly available at www.astm.org/newsroom/astm-international-provides-public-access-standards-used-covid-19. These relate to test methods (mostly) and specifications for masks, medical gowns, gloves, hand sanitizers, and ventilators.