HTM Leadership Groups Welcome Members
Source: AAMI News, Vol. 55, No. 6
June 1, 2020
Categories: AAMI News, Clinical, Government, Health Technology Management, HTM Professionals, Medical Device Manufacturers, Medical Device Manufacturing, Sterilization, Sterilization Professionals
Healthcare Technology Leadership Committee
AAMI’s HTLC is an advisory committee of healthcare technology management (HTM) thought leaders who work with AAMI’s vice president of HTM to advance and support the HTM field.
This group seeks to develop the next generation of HTM leaders by nurturing leadership skills among HTM professionals and advancing the professional interests of HTM managers.
New HTLC members for 2020 are:
- Christopher Jones, a biomedical computed tomography specialist at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, MD.
- Kelvin Knight, director of biomedical engineering at Children’s Hospital of Alabama in Birmingham, AL.
- Mark Manning, division chair of HTM at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
- Mike Powers, clinical engineering quality manager at Christiana Care Health in Newark, DE.
Thank you to Julio Huerta, Jon Mickletz, Dustin Telford, and Donald Tucker for their service on the HTLC. Congratulations to Eliezer Kotapuri, who has been named HTLC chair. Thank you to Daniel DeMaria for leading the HTLC for several years and for continuing his service on the council as past chair.
Technology Management Council
AAMI’s TMC is an advisory committee of HTM thought leaders who work with AAMI to advance and support the field. It represents the interests of biomedical equipment technicians (BMETs), clinical engineers, and other HTM professionals.
Priorities for the TMC include strengthening the HTM field by finding creative ways to promote HTM careers, developing materials to highlight HTM as a desirable profession to students and young professionals, creating education programs to develop the existing workforce, and producing resources to promote best practices.
New TMC members for 2020 include:
- Rebecca Crossley, BMET specialist at the University of Pittsburg Medical Center, Williamsport, in Jersey Shore, PA.
- James Linton, AAMIF, professor and coordinator for biomedical engineering technology at St. Clair College in Belle River, Ontario, Canada.
- Barbara Maguire, vice president of quality and Geisinger HTM at ISS Solutions in Westfield, NJ.
Thank you to Ben Esslinger, Kelly Harris, Kelvin Knight, and Scott Skinner for their service on the TMC. Congratulations to AAMI Fellow Heidi Horn for being elected Technology Management Executive Council (TMEC) chair and to Jennifer DeFrancesco for being elected as a TMEC member.
Paul Kelley, TMC Founding Member
Paul Kelley, director of biomedical engineering, the Green Initiative, and Asset Redeployment at Washington Hospital in Fremont, CA, is exiting the TMC chair position this year. Kelley, an AAMI Fellow, is the longest serving member of the TMC and was instrumental in its founding in 2004.
Council projects Kelley said he is particularly proud of include establishing HTM Week, which had its start in the TMC, as well as developing the HTM In a Box presentation and recruitment tool and helping to coin the term HTM.
Kelley urges new TMC members to “get active, do things that you think are beyond your skill level, and get involved with projects that are unfamiliar.”
“I am the last charter member of this group and cannot begin to mention the number of outstanding people I have met through this council,” shared Kelley. “I am proud to have been part of it for so long and I’m very happy to leave it in such good hands.”