AAMI Foundation's Laufman-Greatbatch Award
This is AAMI's most prestigious award. Named after two pioneers in the field—Harold Laufman, MD and Wilson Greatbatch, PhD—this highly regarded award honors an individual or group that has made a unique and significant contribution to the advancement of healthcare technology and systems, service, patient care, or patient safety.
Candidates must demonstrate:
- A significant, singular, and global impact on the advancement of patient care or patient safety through the advancement, development, enhancement, or creation of a specific medical device, technology, system, or service.
- Groups or individuals who have made critical contributions to the enhancement of patient care through technology are eligible to receive this award.
The award includes a plaque and a $5,000 check to be presented at the 2018 AAMI Annual Conference & Expo in Longbeach, CA.
The next deadline for nominations is January 31, 2018.
For more information, contact Allison Rafti at +1-703-253-8296 or email@example.com.
Winners of the Laufman-Greatbatch Award
- 2017 – Victoria Hitchins, PhD
- 2016 – Ary L. Goldberger, MD; Roger G. Mark, MD, PhD; and George Moody
- 2015 – Masakazu Tsuzuki, MD, PhD
- 2014 – Matthew B. Weinger, MD
- 2013 – Carl Bruch, PhD
- 2012 – David Bates
- 2011 – Timothy Vanderveen, PharmD
- 2010 – Neal E. Fearnot, PhD
- 2009 – Forrest M. Bird, MD
- 2008 – Jack Harrington
- 2007 – Willis A. Tacker, Jr., MD, PhD
- 2006 – Nathaniel Sims, MD
- 2005 – Maynard Ramsey, III, MD, PhD
- 2004 – Dr. George J. Magovern, Sr., MD
- 2003 – David Hood, Steve Alexander, Matthew Hanson, Todd Kneale, and Terry Domae
- 2002 – David E. Flinchbaugh, PhD, PE
- 2001 – Huntly D. Millar
- 2000 – Thomas Fogarty, MD
- 1999 – Adrian Kantrowitz, MD
- 1998 – Earl E. Bakken
- 1997 – Alan Berson, PhD
- 1996 – John G. Webster, PhD
- 1995 – John Watson, PhD
- 1994 – Robert Arzbaecher, PhD
- 1993 – Craig J. Hartley, PhD
- 1992 – Otto Herbert Schmitt, PhD
- 1991 – Allen Latham, Jr.
- 1989 – Paul C. Lauterbur, PhD
- 1988 – Michel Mirowski, MD
- 1987 – Leslie A. Geddes, ME, PhD
- 1985 – Dwight E. Harken, MD
- 1984 – Clarence Dennis
- 1983 – Charles A. Mistretta, PhD
- 1982 – Wilson Greatbatch, PE
- 1981 – Reginald C. Eggleton
- 1980 – Martin H. Wilcox
- 1979 – Norman J. Holter, DSc
- 1978 – Godfrey N. Hounsfield
- 1977 – Willem Johan Kolff, MD, PhD
- 1976 – Robert F. Rushmer, MD
- 1975 – Barouh V. Berkovits
2017 Award Recipient
Victoria Hitchins, PhD
This year’s award was presented posthumously to Victoria Hitchins. During her more than 35 years at the FDA, Hitchins helped to improve the regulation of medical devices—specifically in the areas of sterilization, reprocessing, and reuse—through her research. And as a longtime participant in AAMI's standards program, co-chair of the AAMI Sterilization Standards Committee, and leader of the U.S. delegation to ISO/TC 198, which focuses on the sterilization of healthcare products, Hitchins was a trailblazer for medical device standardization and harmonization worldwide.