AAMI & Becton Dickinson's Patient Safety Award
This award recognizes outstanding achievements by healthcare professionals who have made a significant advancement toward the improvement of patient safety.
Candidates must demonstrate:
- Dedication to improving the quality of healthcare and patient safety.
- Current and direct involvement with a specific safety initiative to improve the safety of clinical technology or its use in healthcare.
- A commitment to patient safety by writing articles, participating in committees, and/or speaking at educational events on patient safety-related topics involving technology.
Candidates should demonstrate:
- Examples of their projects that were implemented to improve clinician technology challenges, thus supporting overall improvement in patient care.
- Leadership in advancing the quality of healthcare and patient safety in their own organizations.
- Involvement in supporting improvements to patient safety by participating in national, state or local patient safety organizations or programs. (eg, speaker, author, dissemination of best practices).
- Special recognition by their employer for contributions to patient safety.
Nominators may submit evidence of activities relevant to this award and to the candidate's achievements.
Thanks to the generous support of Becton Dickinson, this award includes a plaque and a $1,500 check to be presented at the 2019 AAMI Exchange in Cleveland, OH.
The next deadline for nominations is January 7, 2019. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
AAMI & Becton Dickinson's Patient Safety Award Winners
- 2018 – Frank Overdyk, MSEE, MD
- 2017 – Michael R. Cohen, RPh, MS, ScD (hon.), DPS (hon.)
- 2016 – Maria Cvach, RN, MS, CCRN, DNP
- 2015 – HumanEra Project, University Health Network, University of Toronto
- 2014 – Mark E. Bruley, CCE
- 2013 – San Diego Patient Safety Council
- 2012 – Karen Giuliano, RN, PhD, MBA
- 2011 – Bryce Rutter, PhD
- 2010 – Tomasz Tkaczyk, PhD
- 2009 – Guruprasad Madhavan, PhD
- 2008 – Ronald S. Newbower, PhD
- 2007 – Marvin Shepherd, PE
- 2006 – A. Ray Dalton
- 2005 – Rebekah Drezek, PhD
- 2004 – Vinay Shah, MD
- 2003 – Becki E. Harter
- 2002 – John W. Gosbee, MD
- 2001 – Jeffrey I. Joseph, DO
- 2000 – Rabih O. Darouiche, MD
- 1999 – John D. Hughes, Jr.
- 1997 – Suresh Gurunathan
- 1996 – Arun Gulani, MD
- 1995 – Ira Tackel, CCE
- 1994 – Deborah Burstein, PhD
- 1993 – Dwight Nishimura, PhD
- 1992 – Rebecca Richards-Kortum, PhD
- 1991 – Neal E. Fearnot, PhD
- 1990 – Michael J. Kallok, PhD
- 1989 – George Kondraske, PhD
- 1988 – Kenneth R. Hogstrom, PhD
- 1986 – Donna Bourgelais
- 1985 – Stephen C. Jacobsen
- 1984 – Robert A. Kruger, PhD
- 1983 – Perry J. Blackshear, MD
- 1982 – William D. Ensminger, MD, PhD
- 1981 – Anthony M. Albisser, PhD
- 1980 – Deane B. Jacques, MD
- 1979 – Dwayne R. Westenskow, PhD
- 1980 – William Schuler Pierce, MD
2018 Award Recipient
Frank Overdyk, MSEE, MD
This year's recipient is Frank Overdyk, who has dedicated his career to studying opioid-induced respiratory depression (OIRD) and seeking to prevent OIRD-related injuries and deaths through the use of continuous electronic monitoring. Overdyk is an internationally recognized expert—and advocate—in this field and has served as the clinical lead for the AAMI Foundation’s National Coalition to Promote the Continuous Monitoring of Patients on Opioids since 2014. Under his leadership, this coalition has brought together a multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, HTM professionals, risk managers, and vendor representatives to share and disseminate best practices and make the business case for the implementation of continuous monitoring technology in hospitals. Overdyk has published numerous articles related to OIRD and is the medical director of an ongoing international study designed to assess the frequency of this issue and the impact of continuous monitoring on patient safety.
Make your nomination for 2018 using the online nomination form. The deadline for nominations is January 7, 2019.
For more information, contact MaryJane Thomas at +1-703-253-8296 or email@example.com.