A Time to Lead
October 21, 2014
As the Ebola crisis unfolds, it’s becoming clear that every professional in the healthcare community has a role to play in stopping the spread of this deadly virus. At AAMI, we are committed to sharing what we know about this unprecedented health emergency, listening to your concerns, and highlighting resources that you might find helpful. We’d like to emphasize a few points:
- We have created a special page on our website consolidating and highlighting various resources related to the Ebola crisis.
- We have another page on our website dedicated to the crucial issue of reprocessing of reusable medical devices. Several free resources are available on that page.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is reminding all healthcare facilities to follow proper disinfection policies for medical equipment. The agency recommends using disposable medical equipment on Ebola patients when possible. Note as well that the CDC has issued new recommendations on the use of personal protective equipment by healthcare workers caring for patients with the virus.
- The World Health Organization has put out a call for medical devices and biomedical engineers to help combat the outbreak.
- A new protocol for surgeries involving suspected or confirmed patients with Ebola includes an AAMI standard for surgical gowns and drapes.
- AAMI’s standards program has long been a leader in helping to guide healthcare facilities on safe and effective sterilization practices.
- The AAMI Store contains a number of sterilization standards and collections that you might find helpful.
- AAMI University offers a number of webinars for sterile processing professionals.
We believe healthcare technology and sterilization professionals can be invaluable players in helping to win the fight against Ebola. Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions. Finally, please take note that this week marks International Infection Prevention Week. Are you doing all you can to keep your organization safe?
Mary Logan, JD, CAE