Risks, Challenges and Opportunities of Wireless Technology Systems in Healthcare
October 4 - 5, 2012
Despite the rapid influx of wireless medical technology into hospitals, other healthcare facilities, and private homes, expertise in this domain remains a niche specialty. Wireless experts in healthcare are limited in number, and they rely on one another to patch together solutions to the many challenges they face as wireless connectivity goes mainstream. The full potential of wireless technology will be realized only if it is managed safely and effectively.
Seventy-five experts met for this invitation-only wireless workshop in 2012 to lay out the risks, challenges, and opportunities of wireless technology in healthcare. This workshop was co-convened with the American College of Clinical Engineering (ACCE), American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE), and ECRI Institute.
The Unifying Themes, as detailed in a free PDF report on the workshop, are:
- Clarify roles and responsibilities.
- Manage the spectrum to improve safety and security.
- Design the wireless infrastructure for high reliability.
- Learn from other industries.
- Manage risk and prevent failure. Patient safety comes first.
- Healthcare Technology in a Wireless World: Priority Issues from the 2012 Wireless Workshop